Oragami Bowl


ORIGAMI BOWLS

Paper Model Photo




Construction Photo




Construction Reflection

What did you like about the construction process?

    I really liked how easily the design translated from the paper form to when we were cutting the slab. I was worried that the thickness of the ceramic slab wouldn't allow for the shapes I wanted to cut, but it worked out! The process of cutting it out was pretty simple and I felt very productive.


Which areas did you have the most difficulties?

    After slipping, scoring, and sticking the overlapping sections together, I had a lot of trouble with keeping the sections together and had trouble with cleaning the excess scoring. I was able to eventually cover it up by brushing it with the sponge gently, but the textures were still really rough around the seams and on the inside bottom of the bowl.


Glazing

Pre Fired Glaze

Post Fired Glaze Photo






Glaze Record

 (Brand, Series, and color  Eg: Amaco Opalescent Blue Bell)

Underglaze: (n/a)


Glaze: 

Mayco Jungle Gems Pistachio (CG-717) - 3 coats

Texturizer - 1 coat, outside.

For details -- Teacher's Palette Gloss Glaze Frog Green + Teacher's Palette Gloss Glaze Maize


Final Reflection

What did you find difficult or stressful about the construction process?

    Cleaning up the excess scoring on the outside sides of the bowl and the bottom (after attaching the foot) was very nerve-wracking because I was scared to grip the bowl to hard in fear of leaving fingerprints or warping the already smoothed parts of the surface.

Describe your feeling about the post-fired glaze result?

    I'm really happy with the flow and breakage of the JungleGems, the glaze feels pretty even around the whole bowl. I did forget to add a little bit of glaze behind the leaves and doing only one layer of glaze on the detail left it very thin and a little crumble-y after the fire. I'm not sure if I should've put more layers on there details though, because the leaf imprint is already very hard to see with the one layer of glaze. Putting the textureiser was a slight overkill but I don't think it harmed the piece in any way. Overall, I'm really happy with the glaze! It's bright and generally very smooth, and the types of glazes chosen work nicely together. 

What could you have done better?

    In terms of construction, I think I could've been more careful with my detailing-- the leaf imprints came out very light, and are very hard to notice after the glaze has been fired. 

As your teacher, how could I have taught this unit better?

    I 

Comments

Popular Posts

To Insecurity • Open Letter

Fixing Tomorrow

Final Piece -- Greatest Fear, Greatest Joy