Final Piece -- Greatest Fear, Greatest Joy
Personal Feedback --
Our prompt for our final piece of this year was 'Greatest Fear, Greatest Joy', and we had to depict these two things interacting in one piece. Initially, I was thinking about drawing intangible fears, such as sensory loss or being forgotten, but this seemed too abstract and difficult to convey. So I decided to go with my tangible fear of whales. My joy stayed the same the whole brainstorming process: Comic books. I decided to use acrylics because they worked well for me during the Interim piece, I knew I'd be able to add layers quickly because of how fast the paint sets and I knew I could use this to my advantage.
The thought process for my composition was very simple; As my fear of whales come from their size, I wanted to show a few whales looming over me as silhouettes, and I really love comic books, so I drew myself holding an old Batman comic close to myself. I decided to have a low angle perspective because it would add to the 'looming' of the whales. This was challenging, especially in regards to the proportions of the face and hands. I decided to have the background be mainly blues and cooler colors, while the main subject in the front was more red and warm colored, to show contrast.
One feedback I received on my Interim acrylic piece was to put even more detail in the water, ie, light and reflections. Although that piece was showing the surface of the water while my final showed deep underwater, I knew I had to pay extra attention to the lighting on the whales and how the light falls in the water. I used a lot of applying the paint with my fingers to add to the blurry watery-ness in the background before painting in the whales.
I'm honestly very proud of how this piece turned out, especially seeing how much I struggled in keeping the right proportions od the face and painting the skin properly.
![]() |
| Final Sketch on board |
![]() |
| Here, I started to struggle |
![]() |
| Blocking out the new placement of the eyes and mouth |
![]() |
| Here I was able to fix the face |







Comments
Post a Comment