Poem

Ephemeral (adj.): lasting for a very short time.

This is my definition poem from this year. I could've easily chosen a word like 'despair' or 'warmth', like I was going to originally, but I didn't. To be honest, I didn't even know the word 'ephemeral' meant at first. Which is why I chose it; it's a very obscure word, so someone who doesn't know the word would probably search up the definition, and then read the poem (or vice versa). Thus, the reader will realize why the poem is so short. I don't mention the word ephemeral at all, or the words 'short' or 'limited', which (I think) gets the meaning of ephemeral across better.

---

Ephemeral

A breath,
A touch passing,
An air of rose
Wiffing through your hair,
Hypnos and Thanatos and their
Wavering grasp,
A silence smoothly slicing into time,
Still,
And still,
And gone.

Comments

Popular Posts

To Insecurity • Open Letter

Fixing Tomorrow

Final Piece -- Greatest Fear, Greatest Joy